Search This Blog

Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Sisters Grimm Makes Me Grin

The Sisters Grimm: The Fairy Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley
Booker...
I love LOVE love this series.  When I was shelving at work several years ago, I noticed a book that had a cloth cover--truly a trade cloth cover.  So, I picked it up and looked at it.  It was about two sisters whose parents vanished in a bazaar accident.  They are sent to live with a grandmother they knew nothing of and learn from her they are related to the Brothers Grimm, who did not record folktales, but recorded historical events people became to believe were fanciful tales.  After trouble between humans and the Everafters (fairy tale characters), the Brothers Grimm hoped to avoid a war by trapping the Everafters in Ferryport, where they must stay until there are no Grimm descendants living in the town.  This makes some Everafters quite upset with the Grimm Family, but the Grimms do still have some friends in the Everafter population.

Each book has it's own story and mysteries the sisters must face while the overall mystery of what happened to their parents continues and intensifies throughout each book.  I started to read the first one, then put it down and didn't pick it up again for a long time.  I found the orphanage lady annoying, but afterwards, I realized she's not a big part of the story, so if you feel the same way as I did just keep going....it's gets great!!!  While the books have a seamless overall story arc, each book has it's own uniqueness.  One book has a court room drama, one has time travel, another is like a war novel, and one is like the twilight zone!  I was hoping the final book in the series, book #9, would be out this month, but I've got no word at work when it is due out.

Samantha and Daphne are strong girl characters.  (Goal accomplished by Michael Buckley, who said at a talk I attended it seemed to him all girl characters were either rescued by a prince or own a horse.)  The other characters in this series are extremely likeable.  I also found it so fun to see what Mr. Buckley would do with different fairy tale characters.  As an example, one of the three little pigs who wasn't good at construction like his brothers, went into law enforcement and Snow White teaches self-defense classes.  Can you guess what occupation Prince Charming might have or Robin Hood?  There are so many twists and surprises throughout the series.  You never know what's going to happen!!  No one I have recommended this series to has come back to me without rave reviews.  You've just got to read this series.  The audio editions of the books are also very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment