Search This Blog

Sunday, December 4, 2011

It'll Heal What Ails You, Laddie

An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor

An Irish Country DoctorI've been wanting to read this book for a long time, and I'm so glad I finally did.  One person at the store where I work said it's like James Herriot's book except with people as patients.  I think that's pretty close.  It's simply a story, and I loved that.  Dr. Barry Laverty has just graduated from medical school.  We join him on his way to Ballybucklebo (a fictional city in Northern Ireland) to answer a job notice.  He meets his possible employer, Dr. Fingal O'Reilly, literally throwing a patient out the door.  With this auspicious start, Barry questions if he should accept a position here, yet he does need a job.  We get to see Barry grow as a doctor, a partner, and a person.  It's a heart-warming ride with the beauty of Ireland as it's backdrop.  I hoped there would be a strong Catholic character.  There wasn't one in this first book though religion is not let completely out of the book. (You couldn't have anything close to a realistic book taking place in Northern Ireland without some religion.)  Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading this book immensely.  There are several more in this series which I highly recommend.  [Interestingly, this book is available as a Mass Market.]

No comments:

Post a Comment