Search This Blog

Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Brilliant Book

The Creative Brain: The Science of Genius by Nancy Andreasen

The Creative Brain: The Science of GeniusI really enjoyed this book.  It's not that long and worth a second reading to really apply the book to my life and my kids' lives.  At the time of this books publishing Dr. Andreasen, a highly respected and honored doctor, worked as the director of the Mental Health Clinical Research Center at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine.  In this book she explores what makes people creative.  She makes this exploration easy to understand and exciting to learn.  This is a fascinating book for anyone interested in the brain, creativity, or a parent or educator.  As a homeschooler, I found many of her discoveries and insights helpful in how I plan my children's education.  Dr. Andreasen examines several creative geniuses.  I remember that most of them had a childhood that was unstructured, allowing them to explore, experiment, play, and observe.  It seems our society is going in the opposite direction in educating our youth.  Dr. Andreasen also touches on the link between genius and mental illness, a topic I would love to read more about.

I feel this book as appeal for most readers, who will find it educational and enjoyable.  I highly recommend this book, and I look forward to reading her other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment