Search This Blog

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Didn't Find This Book Very Happenin'

Booker's Review
Happenstance Found (Books of Umber Series #1) by P. W. Catanese

Happenstance Found (Books of Umber Series #1)I hate writing that I didn't enjoy a book because I could never right a book.  And sometimes people don't like a book that is actually really good.  So keep that in mind as you read this review.

Happenstance is found in a dark room without any memory of who he is or how he came to be there.  Lord Umber received a secret message to keep the boy with him at all times.  Why remains a mystery for the entire book.  A creature is chasing Happenstance to collect Hap's unusual eyes.  As the story goes along, we learn a little more about Happenstance's origins and who Lord Umber really is.  Yet, I found the story revealed too little over too long a time.  There is an exciting confrontation with the hunting creature at the end and a stunning surprise to entice you into reading the second book in the trilogy; however things developed much too slowly for me.

I should also say that I listened to this book all in one sitting riding in the car.  This may have influenced my reception of the book.

Kids who enjoy fantasy and mystery, who like to try to figure out things on their own or imagine lots of possibilities, I think, would enjoy this book.

Blogger's Review
"Happenstance Found":  I was really excited to listen to this audio book, and since this book is the first in a series, I thought maybe I'd have my next great series to read. Instead, "Happenstance Found" was slow to develop and really didn't leave me wanting to read more of the Books of Umber series.

P.W. Catanese has a really neat idea here. Happenstance is a boy, we don't know exactly how old, found in a buried city by Lord Umber and his band. Happenstance is different in that he has bright green eyes, can see in the dark, and seems to possess a few other abilities. As they return to Lord Umber's home, we learn that something is following them, and it's not good. The rest of the tale takes place in and around Lord Umber's home, and we learn a little more about Happenstance, where he came from, and we find out more about Lord Umber.

A neat premise, but it just didn't move fast enough for me. I don't plan to read any more books in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment