Search This Blog

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Crucial Conversations, Crucial to Prepare For

Booker and Blogger--

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS: TOOLS FOR TALKING WHEN STAKES ARE HIGH by Kerry Paterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler

Blogger read this books for work and suggested I read it, too.  He thought it could help us communicate better.  I said I would, but didn't have plans to do it too soon.  Then he used two things he had learned from the book (even before he finished the whole book) and really helped our conversations and avoid misunderstandings.  I was convinced, and read it as soon as he finished.  I like it.  I read it faster than I think it's meant to be read because I think you really need to let each skills set revolve around your head a little.  However, the authors give plenty of ways to help you use these skills, remember these skills, and use these skills.  I wish I had read this book before I got married.  I think so many misunderstandings and hard-feelings would have been avoided over the years.  I usually avoid crucial conversations, but now I see the importance of having them, and being prepared for them.  This book will help you communicate better with your co-workers, employer, friends, neighbors, kids, and spouse.  You should really read this book.  --Booker


One of my goals at work this year was to read the book, "Crucial Conversations" by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan and Al Switzler. "Crucial Conversations" tackles the topic of how to maintain your cool and progress through meaningful dialogue when the stakes are high and emotions are running higher. This is definitely a talent I could use, and I understand why my boss gave me this goal.

I thought this was a good book, though it did take me more than a month to get through. As with any non-fun book, it read a lot slower than "Harry Potter" or "Percy Jackson." And...well...I didn't read it for 2-3 hours every night like I would those type of books. But, it was good reading. I learned a lot, and I think I picked up some good strategies that I can apply.  I've already successfully applied some of these strategies in conversations with my wife, and these conversations went significantly better than history would indicate they should have gone.

If you think you need to work on your conversation skills because you find you struggle to get your meaning on the table when emotions run high, or you tend to lose control when the stakes rise, I think "Crucial Conversations" would help you. I'm going to get made fun of by a lot of the people I work with who read this blog, but I'm really glad I got assigned this book as a goal.           --Blogger

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post. I absolutely appreciate this info and I am really enjoyed to read your article. Thanks!!! Crucial conversations training programs

    ReplyDelete