Search This Blog

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Discovering Catholocism for the First Time or for the Fiftieth Time, this Book Will Help

REDISCOVERING CATHOLICISM by Matthew Kelly
 
Blogger--
This book is a must read for every Catholic, especially those who have left the Church, or are disengaged Catholics (i.e. they go to Mass, but don't participate). Once you read this book, I guarantee you'll be motivated to become the best-version-of-yourself, the version of yourself that God wants you to be. Furthermore, you'll understand why the Catholic church offers you the best chance to achieve that.

The entire theme of "Rediscovering Catholicism" is becoming the best-version-of-yourself, how you can do that, and how that can reawaken the Catholic church. Need an example to help you get started on your journey?  No problem, the Catholic church has the Saints to be our role models. These are people who were driven by a single-minded purpose to be the person God wanted them to be, and they didn't let the world get in their way. Need coaching along the way?  No problem, the Catholic church has the Sacrament of Reconciliation where not only do you receive absolution, but you get advice from the Priest. This entire book is filled with stories and examples designed to help you change your habits and be the person God wants you to be.

I've already started trying to live out what I learned in this book. I've been plugging away at it in 15-20 minute increments for quite a while now. I've been implementing some better habits because Matthew Kelly gave me some some ideas on habits I should be implementing. I'm eager to see the person I will be in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years if I continue to stick with what I learned in the pages of "Rediscovering Catholicism".

Booker--
I, too, really liked this book.  Matthew Kelly points out so many of the wonderful things we have in our Catholic faith and how we can use them better and appreciate them more, thus, enabling us to become the best-version-of-ourselves.  After reading this book, many times when I'm making a decision, I think, 'Will this make me a better version of myself?'  I like that question better than the What would Jesus do? thing.  We've also been able to use that with our children, too.  Matthew Kelly's book is easy to read and gives you practical steps you really can implement in your life.  I'm very glad I read this book.  Some people in the book club where we discussed this book thought the book was a little repetitive; however, I didn't think it was that much and I'm glad for some of the repetition because that's how we are going to get in our heads and start doing what he suggests.

Matthew Kelly also has a kids book out called  Why Am I Here? for kids.  This book does an excellent job of explaining to kids the concept of  the best-version-of-yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment