Search This Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Book to Sink Your Teeth Into

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Booker...
I'm years behind, but I finally read this best seller.  Actually, I listened to the audio book, which uses different actors for the different characters.  It was marvelous--the accents for each character (which I don't think I would have been able to hear in my head if I read it) really added to my enjoyment of the story.  And some of the voices made some scenes very eerie.  The whole audio book is very well done.

I enjoyed this book a lot, and I'm glad I was listening in the car rather than reading the book at night.  I'm sorry I can't remember the young girls name, but she lives with her father who travels throughout Europe.  She begins to travel with him and finally asks about her mother.  He has never spoken of her to his daughter before, but reluctantly begins to tell his daughter bits and pieces of the painful story over many months.  The daughter learns her parents met at an English university where they were both researching historical data on Dracula.  Things transpire and eventually a desparate hunt for Dracula begins again. 

This story has beautiful descriptions, interesting historical information, suspense, and a few shiver-inducing moments.  You don't have to be a Dracula fan to enjoy this intelligent book.  I highly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment